Friday, February 27, 2009

I made something!

I haven't felt very brave about starting new craft projects for a while. Nor have I been working much on my knitting. My February Lady is not simple enough to knit while chatting and I just haven't been feeling inspired. And it takes energy to tackle a new project.

I took a beginner's quilting class series this fall at my local quilt shop (love it!), hoping to make a quilt for Caroline for her birthday. I didn't realize that the class would only cover cutting and piecing the quilt top, plus I had to miss a class and didn't have much time to work on the quilt because I was teaching my first childbirth education class. Quilting Class #2 was to cover borders, bindings and quilting, but the classes felt rushed and I feel like I needed more instruction. I think I qualify as a relatively beginning sewer. Yes, I can sew a straight seam, and follow a simple pattern, but there is so much I don't know. Plus my perfectionist nature limits my ability to just jump in and try things because I really don't like being frustrated. I have two doll quilts that need to be quilted and bound, and I just have not had the energy to tackle them since January. I have been having trouble with the machine quilting, the back puckering and everything shifting. Do you know how many seams I have had to rip on just one of those silly things? Too many to count. I am sure that there are some tricks that would make it all easier and I know I could go in to the quilt shop to ask, but I just feel kind of stupid about it all. All this adds up to the fact that I lost my sewing mojo for a while.

Well, today I tackled a new project, a quick and easy one. It didn't turn out perfect, but it is satisfactory. When I saw the price of the cute red deer strap, I knew I needed to figure something else out. I thought about trying to make my own using the hardware from the factory strap, but then I saw a camera strap slip cover, though I can't remember which blog, darn it. Using this tutorial, it took me a couple of hours, but only because I am slow and methodical, and oh yeah, still feel puny and then those kids running around. Here it is. And you get a look at my new baby. And my real baby.

4 comments:

Mokihana said...

Wow, I love that camera strap! Thanks for the link; I think I'd like to make one out of Hawaiian fabric. Thanks also for the link to the quilt shop; I do believe a field trip is in order for me and a friend with whom we do sometimes Thursday field trips to new and wonderful places.

Your real baby does NOT look happy... but her hair sure does! Love it!

Unknown said...

Hiya girlfriend, I recently cruised over here to your blog to see what you've been up to. I've been enjoying reading your posts!

The picture of C is great! I love her hair. I don't remember E's ever being like that.

Sounds like you're starting to feel better. I hope so! Have a good week, and I hope C avoids the bug!

Love,
Gina

sarah jean, said...

if i send you fabric will you make me one? my machine is still out of commission. i'll even send you a prepaid envelope to send it back to me????

love the owls on yours. xo

Anonymous said...

Hmm. I'm thinking I could use one of those, too. :) Gotta give yourself more credit. It looks better than just satisfactory. Love that pic of c., too.