Thursday, February 01, 2007

Teen in the House

C-boy is 13 today. Such a lovely boy growing in to such a lovely young man. He is loving and gentle, still tender with his mama, telling me he loves me, kissing me good-night every evening. I love seeing him becoming his own person, able to stand up in this household of strong personalities. I am so humbled when he advocates for himself with me while still being calm and respectful (I can be a bit, shall we say, passionate, though he says "cranky sometimes"). His spirit calms me. He is a bit introvertive- needs a lot of alone time, and yet has a few very good friends and likes to engage my friends in conversation- he may be more at ease with adults than kids his own age, sometimes- reminds me of myself. His beginning was scary- his birth an emergency cesarean- I had pre-eclampsia, so he had to be born too early, at 32 weeks, weighing 2 pounds 13 ounces. Tiny, but a fighter, really just needing to grow, no other complications. Scary, though, to be thrust into parenthood this way, into the world of NICU and the machines beeping and buzzing all around our tiny son. I was too ill to see him until his third day of life, his papa stepping into fatherhood alone, fiercely protective and advocating for his boy. And now.... thirteen years later, I can barely believe that we are here now, watching him become a young man of integrity and honor and so creative. I am so proud of him, so proud to be his mama. Happy Birthday Colin. I love you.
Here are a few of his creations. He is self-taught. Pipe Cleaners are his medium. He has been making these since he was little. Really, the details are amazing.

3 comments:

Mokihana said...

I wish I could see the photos! Happy birthday, Colin!

Mokihana said...

Wow!! To think that simple pipe cleaners could create such amazing art. The detail is wonderful. Colin did a great job and shows great artistic ability and imagination. Thanks for fixing the pics!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday, Colin! Thanks for watching Duffy on your birthday weekend. You are a great artist!