
Dh has marmalade on toast every morning, and has been for the past few years. So I have been buying him various kinds of marmalade, some better than others, he says. As I watched C-boy slathering his pbj with the strawberry freezer jam I made last summer, I was struck by a couple of thoughts: 'I could make marmalade' and 'why haven't I ever made some?' Well, I really don't like marmalade and citrus season is in mid-winter when I am not necessarily thinking about canning. But, here we are, smack in the middle of prime citrus season, so off I go to my canning books and the internet to find "the best marmalade recipe ever" to make for dh. And, I think I found it.
June Taylor makes her preserves in Berkley and has a world-wide cult following. I was able to find a few of her marmalade recipes online, being the cyber-sleuth that I am. She makes her own pectin from the membranes and seeds of the fruit and uses a lower amount of sugar in a process that can only be called a labor of love. As I love dh and a food challenge, I made a batch of Satsuma Marmalade during one of our snow days this week. Again, I don't like marmalade, it's bitter, pithy taste with large chunks of peel and membrane, but- I LOVE this marmalade. The citrus segments removed from their membrane with thin slices of peel floating in the bright citrus-y goodness accented by the sweet-tang of meyer lemon. YUM. I am in love. It didn't jel as much as I would like, I will do a few things differently next time, but it is luscious. I think so anyway, and so does dh. I do want to order some of June Taylor's to compare as she is the jam goddess, but for now, I have a new obsession. Today I will attempt Pink Grapefruit-Meyer Lemon. I can't wait to see how it turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment