Friday, December 15, 2006

Wooly Christmas Ornaments

I was so inspired by Handknit Holidays- I just love that book. I wanted to make oodles of little felted ornaments for everyone I love. Thought it would be a great project with the kidlets. Originally, my plan was to get the roving from the source the author used, but my mil has a friend with sheep, so she got some actual wool straight from the sheep's back and gave it to me.
Dyeing with Kool-aid was fun, my hands turned funky colors and our house smelled like fruit-punch for a few days.

Felting uncarded wool turned out to be not as neat and easy as with roving, the balls are not as firm and symmetrical or smooth as those pictured in the pattern, and after a day of felting balls, many mishapen, we lost our steam. But, we did make enough to make a few ornaments yesterday for e's teachers and they turned out like this:

Sooo cute, I am re-inspired. I have a pile of dyed wool to make more. And there is a possibility that the woman who gave me the wool will card it for me.

Am in the throes of holiday preparation, knitting when I can get the chance. I was perusing here and wondering how these super-star knitting mamas can do it all and here (scroll down to Oct. 12) is cmeknit's answer. If only I could knit from 8 until midnight, but I head to bed with lil'c and she is such a crappy sleeper, I need all the z's I can get. And, I just am not a super fast knitter. Someday I will be a super-knitter, too.

No comments: